Distracted driving usually entails texting or calling while behind the wheel. Many people think it’s not a big deal to take a call or answer a message because they are solidly competent drivers when paying attention.
Know the facts:
- Drivers are twice as likely to be involved in an accident while texting.
- Eleven percent of all drivers under 20 years of age who are involved in a fatal accident were driving distracted.
- Sixty percent of drivers use mobile devices while driving.
- Seventy-eight percent of young adults and teens say they read messages while behind the wheel.
- Seventy-one percent say they have written an email or sent a text message while driving.
- If a car is traveling at 55 mph, the five seconds the driver’s eyes are off the road is enough time to travel the length of football field.
- Adding an additional activity in a vehicle, like texting and dialing while driving, increases the risk of an accident by three times.
- By December 2013, 171.3 billion texts had resulted in accidents in the United States.